Thursday, February 7, 2008

Historical Battles

Many of you might remember being taught about the Battle of the Bulge. You have indeed been deceived. The battle of the bulge is not history. It is ongoing, it is current, and the results of this war can be seen everyday as tiny bulges peek out over my pants and under my bra.

I've gained 5 pounds.

This makes me about 15 pounds heavier than I was three years ago when I was first married....and no, there is no chance that it could be muscle. I'm pretty sure it's my husband constantly telling me that he loves me and how I'm beautiful as I stuff spoonfuls of lasagna into my mouth - that's right folks, I (+15lbs.) am what happens when husbands love their wives unconditionally.

But seriously. I know to what I can contribute this lengthy and weighty battle. Herniated disc + stopped running + the Holiday season + increased eating + bad weather + limited biking = unforgiving photographs that make me want to sell myself to the circus as a very talented elephant.

I'm sorry to try and make light of my profoundly screwed up mindset, but unfortunately all I can do at this point is laugh and hope that I have laughed first at myself before anyone has had the chance.

So, reflection upon the past year....I definitely have conquered some ridiculously skewed mindsets, I am completely comfortable with food (obviously), and I have (almost) overcome emotional eating. However, I find myself gone to the other extreme and 15 pounds heavier. Which isn't unhealthy, but, I'm pretty sure I could be healthier. So, I suppose the key here is balance, people.

Thoughts have crossed my mind about dieting again...but, what's the point? I'm just gonna keep eating what my body needs - what it really needs and not what it needs when all hope is lost and I'm having a bad day.

2 comments:

  1. J don't know what to say, but this song helped me deal with my weight issues while in college. Perhaps it can help you to.

    "Beautiful" by Bethany Dillon

    I was so unique
    Now I feel skin deep
    I count on the make-up to cover it all
    Crying myself to sleep cause I cannot keep their attention
    I thought I could be strong
    But it's killing me

    Does someone hear my cry?
    I'm dying for new life

    I want to be beautiful
    Make you stand in awe
    Look inside my heart,
    and be amazed
    I want to hear you say
    Who I am is quite enough
    Just want to be worthy of love
    And beautiful

    Sometimes I wish I was someone other than me
    Fighting to make the mirror happy
    Trying to find whatever is missing
    Won't you help me back to glory

    You make me beautiful
    You make me stand in awe
    You step inside my heart, and I am amazed
    I love to hear You say
    Who I am is quite enough
    You make me worthy of love and beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Baby Girl,
    You don't look like you have gained 15 lbs. You look wonderful!

    People say, "Age is just a number." Well, weight is too! You are beautiful...especially when you laugh.
    I love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete