Sunday, September 2, 2007

Self-Confidence...an inventory and overhaul

This is a post from my other blog "A Day's Grace" - please enjoy and take part in the challenge.

Perhaps some of you have heard of New Zealand's 4th most popular folk parody duo, The Flight of the Conchords. If you haven't, no worries - they are not terribly relevant in this upcoming post, but beware, you are missing out.

In one of their numbers entitled, "The Hiphopopotamus vs. The Rhymenoceros," the two musicians play off one another in a well orchestrated and hilarious gangster rap battle. A line from this memorable musical snack is , "Sometimes when I freestyle, I lose confidence." This too true observation of human behavior made me think.

My life is pretty much me - freestyling. Seriously, I know of no real plan. I have goals, beliefs, and ideas of what I think my life should look like - but I'm really just doing and saying whatever comes into my head...and hoping that I am somehow getting it right.

I must confess, that sometimes when I freestyle - I lose confidence.

Many of you have read another blog authored by myself - Everyday Eating Disorder. It chronicles my journey as I confront my inner struggles with health, food, and destructive mindsets. Well, recent happenings have begun to make me question how confident and self-assured I really am. I think to a lot of people I might appear "confident" or "self-assured" or even "comfortable." At times, I totally am - at other times - it's a war that rages within my mind - and too many times I have lost.

I want to improve my self-confidence. But, how does one really go about doing this? Well, I googled it. Yep. I know. But, hey, I needed practical steps. One of the steps suggested was to have friends and family, etc. write lists of things they loved about you - or things they thought you did well.

So, here's your challenge.

I humbly ask you to leave a comment if you are reading this. Tell me 1 thing or 10 things or however many things you think I do well.

I'll try to keep you all posted as I prayerfully enter into this journey. It's definitely one that is humbling and long over due.

Thank you for reading.

1 comment:

  1. I am praying that the Lord will guide me as I respond to this post.
    Lydia, you are a great girl and even though I don't know you as well as I wish, I can tell you that you have a sensitive heart, a wonderful mind, and a witty sense of humor. =) You're also an awesome writer....I love reading your posts!
    But I also need to say this.....
    your confidence can't be in yourself or you will never, ever be truly happy. I can tell you this from personal experience. Your confidence needs to be in the Lord. He is perfect....He wishes to make us more into His likeness, but He desires a humble,contrite heart. Too much confidence (and even too little confidence) in ourselves can lead to pride b/c it involves being focused on ourselves, when our focus should really be on denying ourselves and trusting completely in Him and His goodness. I say this with complete gentleness and love for you.....I pray that the Lord will be speaking to your heart as you seek Him and His plan for your life.
    Much love,
    your cousin Heather

    ReplyDelete