Tuesday, December 4, 2007

To eat, perchance to dine.

Our house has been in uproar as of late.


My sweet husband is in the middle of finals and last week I was diagnosed with a herniated disc. My doctor has forbidden all running and has made the suggestion that I find another mode of exercise (for the rest of my life) - this proves difficult as I coach cross country and sponsor a running club. So, tough week.

Well, last night I set off from work to hit up the grocery store and then, make my husband dinner. He had an exam yesterday and it's becoming increasingly frigid outside, so I needed to make dinner something warm, relaxing, and tasty. We've been playing around with vegetarian ways - so, I whipped up green bean casserole, macaroni and cheese, and whipped sweet potatoes.

I had so much fun cooking...and shopping for that matter. I used all of the real stuff. That's right Sharp cheddar cheese, butter, evaporated milk, full fat ricotta (for another recipe). Not once did I think about fat grams....well, I did think about how I could be eating a chocolate brownie instead of sipping on my glass of red wine...but the health benefits of red wine are far superior to those of a brownie, eh?

It was a lovely meal.

Tonight I am making spinach lasagna and we're going to finish off that bottle of wine.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your disc. Was it caused from running alot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, it happened last August....I thought it was a pulled muscle and so did the doctor. At the time I wasn't showing any classic symptoms of a disc problem. It seemed better after a few months - so I started running on it again (thinking it was purely a muscular issue). Well, a year of running later and I ticked the disc off. Now, I' gonna have to take up yoga and biking.

    ReplyDelete